Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Pesarattu (green gram crepes) - brunch


A nice little coincidence happened the other day. Just as I was worrying that I don't have any good ideas for a scrumptious healthy meal, my friend called me just to tell me about this new recipe she tried!
Aha! This dish has become a new hit in my family.

Preparation: Soak 1 cup of whole moog dal (green gram) with 1/4 cup of white rice for at least 5 hours. It is a good idea to soak it overnight to have it handy for brunch the next day.

Ingredients:
soaked moog dal and rice
1 small onion coarsely sliced
2-3 green chili, stemmed
1/2 inch of ginger
3-4 stems of fresh cilantro
salt to taste
oil for baking

Method:
1. Drain the soaked ingredients
2. Grind all the ingredients except oil with water to a smooth batter. I usually prefer a dosa-like consistency. But don't make it too runny
3. Heat a tawa or pancake griddle, and pour a laddleful of the batter and spread evenly into a thin crepe
4. Cover with a lid and cook. Flip over the crepe dribble little oil and cook the other side uncovered

Serve with chutney of your choice. I used some leftover coconut chutney and fresh Peanut chutney.


No comments:

Post a Comment